- Full fat milk- 2 lit (will yield 2 cups of khoya/mawa)
- Large, Heavy bottom wok/ pot
- Place milk on high heat and bring to boil.
- Lower the gas flame and keep stirring the vessel bottom and scraping the sides on and off for at least an hour.
- The milk will start thickening. Once it reduces to 1/3rd of its quantity, keep stirring more often to prevent it from burning.
4. When it achieves Rabri like consistency as shown in pic, you need to keep stirring continuously.
5. Cook on low flame for some more time until it reaches a consistency like this and starts leaving the sides of the cookware.
6. Your khoya/mawa is ready to use in desserts like Barfi, Gulab Jamun, Gajar ka halwa, Sheera, etc.
Try using a much larger and broad, heavy bottom cookware for making the khoya/mawa. It will hasten the whole process, as moisture form the milk will evaporate quicker.
You don’t have to constantly stand, and keep stirring into it. Just keep an eye over it on and off, and don’t forget about it 🙂