SURPRISE STUFFED GARLIC BREAD (whole wheat)
Yes! You read just right. As we have already learnt to prepare perfect Garlic bread sticks in a healthy way, it’s time to push it a little further. A little more… Let us savour the taste a little more. Let us raise the nutrient quotient a little more. Let us get our favourite Garlic bread stuffed now.
Stuffed with what? Cheese? Ummm…Yes and no, both! Yes, because we can’t achieve a similar taste without it. No, because we are not solely using it. We would rather put in some nutritious surprise items which will complement the cheese just right, along with reducing the quantity of it. So let us begin!
SURPRISE STUFFED GARLIC BREAD
- Garlic bread dough (see notes)
- Cornmeal- ½ cup for dusting
- Spinach leaves- blanched and pureed ¼ cup
- Amaranth leaves- blanched and pureed ¼ cup
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Pepper- a pinch
- Sweet corn kernels- ¼ cup
- Powdered jaggery raw organic sugar- ½ tsp
- Mozzarella cheese- grated ½ cup
- Butter- 2 Tbs
- Italian seasoning- 3-4 Tbs
In pan heat 1 tsp of butter and add the spinach and amaranth puree to it.
Cook for 2-3 minutes and add sweet corn kernels.
Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until the mixture loses excess moisture and gets a bit dried. Add powdered jiggery, mix and turn off the flame.The stuffing is ready.
Take the dough out from refrigerator and divide into 4-6 balls.
Spread corn meal over a clean surface, and flatten the dough into a disc (by stretching with both hands, and not with rolling pin).
Remove excess cornmeal, and transfer it to a parchment paper or aluminium foil.
Apply butter on half of the disc, followed by a thick layer of the prepared stuffing.
Sprinkle the grated cheese over it.
Apply a little water on the edges of the dough disc and seal in a semicircle shape.
Further secure the ends using the back of a fork.
Lightly cut into bread sticks. Brush butter over it and sprinkle some Italian seasoning.
Transfer carefully to the hot oven tray (pre-heated at 240 deg C)
13. Further, bake at 240 deg C for about 15 minutes, on the topmost shelf.
14. Take out, brush with more butter and Italian seasoning if you like, and dig into healthy heaven!
Click for Garlic bread dough recipe here