Power Punch Poha
A power filled breakfast to start your day on the right foot!
You can call it my obsession with sprouts, but I can’t think of any better ingredient that quickly turns any simple dish into a power meal. Read more about Sprouting and how to do it.
Made from flattened rice, Poha is a very popular Indian dish served in breakfast or as evening snacks. Flattened rice are not only lighter and healthier alternative to rice, they are easier and quicker to prepare as well.
I always wondered what protein rich ingredient (superior to peanuts) can go well with the carbohydrate and fibre filled Veg Poha to make the dish more wholesome. I experimented with black horse gram sprouts and it was an instant hit! The taste is awesome, and nutrient quotient: par excellence. So, let us begin!
Power Punch Poha
- Flattened/ Parched rice Poha/ Chidwa thick to semi-thick variety- 2 cup
- Sprouts of black horse gram Kala chana - ½ cup
- Parboiled veggies of your choice like carrots, beans, baby corn, peas, potato- ½ cup
- Onion- 1 finely chopped
- Ginger- 1 tsp grated
- Asafoetida hing- a pinch
- Capsicum- 1 finely chopped
- Green coriander - 2-3 tbsp finely chopped
- Oil - 3-4 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 7 to 8
- Lemon – 1
- Tamarind paste- 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 1-2 finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Brown mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp or as per taste
Wash poha in a colander and allow it to drain.
Heat some oil in a wok, add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
Now put curry leaves and onion. Sauté for a minute until onions turn translucent.
Add the sprouts and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Put ginger, green chillies, asafoetida, turmeric and keep stirring until raw aroma of ginger goes away.
Add capsicum, and parboiled veggies of your choice. Close the lid and let them cook for a while.
Dissolve tamarind paste in half a cup of water and add to the mixture.
Then add poha to the mixture followed by salt, fennel seeds, and fresh coriander leaves.
Finish by squeezing lemon juice into it.
10. Your yummy, tangy, Power Punch Poha is ready!