A quick, easy, nourishing and filling breakfast is what we all need to kick start our day on the right foot. Accompanied with a protein rich source like egg, tofu or soya, bread upma is a good breakfast option. Also it works as a nice, filling finger food for babies. So, let us begin!
- Whole wheat bread slices- 6-8 chopped in cubes
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds rai- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds jeera- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 2- 3
- Onion- 1 medium finely chopped
- Grated ginger- 1 tsp finely chopped
- Tomato- 1 medium finely chopped
- Red chilly powder- ½ tsp or to taste optional
- Green chillies- 2-3 long split (optional)
- Parboiled veggies like carrot potato, green peas, french beans- 1 cup
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp or to taste
- Asafetida hing- a pinch
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and let them crackle and pop.
Then add cumin seeds and curry leaves. Stir and sauté till the cumin seeds also crackle and change their color.
Now add onion and stir on a low to medium flame, till they turn translucent.
Add split green chillies, ginger and sauté till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
Then add tomatoes, veggies, turmeric powder, salt, and asafoetida. Stir and sauté until the tomatoes get softened, and you see oil releasing from the sides.
Add the bread cubes. Mix the bread well with the rest of the mixture.
Sprinkle some water if needed.
Top with some freshly chopped coriander leaves, and serve with tomato ketchup.