SPROUTS RAVA UTTAPAM
Even since I discovered the extraordinary nutritional benefits of sprouts, I have been experimenting with them a lot. (Read more about Sprouting and how to do it). Since my Sprouts n’ Cheese Sandwich was appreciated a lot, I am sharing another sprouts dish here.
This is a semolina (suji) based recipe, which is another wonder ingredient. A durum wheat product, semolina is booming with Vit B group and Vit E, is low in fat, has lo glycemic index, is digested slowly and helps you feel full longer, preventing you from overeating. It is an ideal food to include in weight watchers’ diet plan, is great for diabetics, but not meant for gluten intolerant subjects.
Topped with some awesome veggies, this sure is a power-packed breakfast on your plate.
On a busy weekday morning, if you have some sprouts at hand, you are all set to prepare this quick and healthy meal for your breakfast, or tiffin-box, as most of the other ingredients are easily available in your pantry. So let us begin!
- 5 from 1 vote
SPROUTS RAVA UTTAPAMA power-packed, healthier version of a routine uttapamCourse Breakfast, SnackCuisine IndianPrep Time 15 minutesCook Time 5 minutesTotal Time 20 minutesServings 4Author Shaveta Kaushal
- Semolina suji/ rava- 1 cup
- Plain yogurt curd/ dahi- ½ cup
- Salt- 1tsp
- Ginger- ½ tsp finely grated
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Red chilly powder- ½ tsp or as per taste optional
- Asafetida hing- a pinch
- Sprouts green gram/ moong dal- 4 tbs
- Green chillies- 2 or as per taste finely chopped (optional)
- Onion- 1 finely chopped
- Beetroot- ½ grated
- Carrot- 1 grated
- Coriander leaves- 2 tsp finely chopped
In a mixing bowl, add semolina, yogurt, salt, ginger, chilly powder, baking soda and asafetida, and mix well. Add approx. ¾ cup of water to prepare a batter of dropping consistency. Keep aside for 15-30 minutes.
In the meanwhile, chop and grate your veggies.
Check for your batter. Add water, if required to achieve a batter which is neither too thick nor too thin.
Heat a nonstick pan and pour a ladleful of batter. Do not spread it.
Lower the flame completely, and leave it for a few seconds.
As soon as you see the bubbles appearing, spread the onion, carrots, beetroot, sprouts, and coriander over it.
Press a little with the back of a spatula, so that veggies cling well to the uttapam.
Drizzle a tsp of oil/ghee around the uttapam, cover the pan with a lid and cook for about a minute.
Flip and cook for a few seconds.
10. Remove from flame, and serve warm.
1. Step1: Semolina soaked for more time (30 min), yields softer uttapams. 2. Step 2: You can always use the veggies of your own choice. 3. Step 3: As semolina absorbs a lot of water, the batter might have turned thick. Some more water usually needs to be added at this stage.