WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE COOKIES (with Jaggery)
All moms know how difficult it is to feed healthy food items to kids and to keep them away from junk food. Fortunately, most kids love the flavor of chocolate, and that is where we can try our luck.
My whole wheat chocolate cookies come with:
- fibre and complex carbohydrates from whole wheat flour,
- antioxidants, iron and minerals from jaggery,
- immunity boosting properties from cow’s ghee,
- proteins from eggs, and
- delicious flavor from chocolate
With such goodness and taste, there is absolutely no reason for not trying these crunchy, chocolatey and addictive cookies. So let us begin!
WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE COOKIES (with jaggery)
- 1/2 cup packed powdered jaggery unrefined sugar or gur
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar powdered
- 1/2 cup ghee or unsalted butter, if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extarct
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips optional
Sieve the flour, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate powder and salt in a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly, and keep aside.
In another mixing bowl, beat the 2 sugars with ghee (or butter) until it turns creamy.
Add in vanilla essence and egg and keep beating until smooth.
Now stir in the flour mixture, and fold in the batter lightly (don not over-beat at this stage).
Refrigerate this soft dough for about half an hour.
In the meanwhile, line a baking tray with parchment paper (or aluminium foil lightly greased with oil), and preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
Make small balls out of the chilled dough and place them on your lined baking tray. Cover it with a clingfilm, and flatten out (to about 4-5 mm thickness) using pressure of a smooth, hard object (I had used back of a serving tray).
Pop the tray into preheated oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges turn brown.
Remove from the baking tray, and cool on a wire rack. Serve with milk or as it is.
[PS: My 1 cup measure 240 ml]